Saturday 17 April 2010

GREECE

THEY ARE:
Home of the Olympics, home of the athlete and a nation that is currently financially ravaged and on tender hooks. Perhaps a good performance at these finals will bring about an improvement in national morale.

AS A FOOTBALL NATION:
Never really considered too much of a might in the football world somehow they managed to win the European Championships in 2004. This was a victory coming straight out of nowhere from a nation once considered footballing whipping boys.

MY OWN EXPERIENCE:
At the time of their Euro 2004 victory I remember declaring it as “the worst thing to happen to European football in my lifetime.” A few years later England had a bit of trouble in dispatching them during the qualification group for Germany 2006 requiring that famous last gasp free kick at Old Trafford from David Beckham to scrape a 2-2 draw.

IN 2010:
Their European Championships victory seems/feels a long time ago now. Quite frankly it was a fluke. Situated in Group B they stand little chance of upsetting Argentina but against South Korea and Nigeria things could go either way.

FAMOUS PLAYERS:
*SHRUGS SHOULDERS* Theo Paphitis is quite famous in football.

MOST OBVIOUS REFERENCE:
Athens and its ruins.

AWAY FROM FOOTBALL:
A combination of tourism, the Olympics and now financial despair. Also kebabs.

NUMBER OF PEOPLE FROM GREECE THAT I KNOW:
I used to regularly see a woman on the train many mornings I nicknamed “The Bubble”. I also have a friend of a friend called Nikos.

QUOTE FROM A GREEK:
Unfortunately none.

DO I LIKE THEM:
No I don’t them.

FINAL COMMENT:
I have no final comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment