Monday 26 April 2010

NEW ZEALAND

THEY ARE:
The land from down under. No, not that one, this is the other one. The one that is green and full of sheep.

AS A FOOTBALL NATION:
This is only the second time that they have qualified for the World Cup finals having had quite an easy route on the way. Their only other appearance in the finals was at Spain 82 where they lost all three of their matches and conceded twelve goals in the process.

MY OWN EXPERIENCE:
There are a couple of names that I recognize on the team sheet but I don’t think I have ever seen a match featuring the nation ever before. That said suddenly there is something of an interest for the team around me as to my right all the locals are interested in the exploits of Tommy Smith from Ipswich Town playing in the team while to my left in London there is plenty of interest for former AFC Wimbledon striker Shane Smeltz.

IN 2010:
It is expected that they will be wrestling it out with North Korea for the wooden spoon of the tournament.

FAMOUS PLAYERS:
Rory Fallon (from Plymouth Argyle!) and Chris Killen are recognizable names from the English leagues.

MOST OBVIOUS REFERENCE:
These days it is Flight Of The Conchords. The old obvious reference was previously wrestling heroes The Bushwhackers.

AWAY FROM FOOTBALL:
Its all about sheep, fresh air and greenery. Realistically their sport is rugby and their team the All Blacks are genuine world beaters (thus this team is called the “All Whites”).

NUMBER OF PEOPLE FROM NEW ZEALAND THAT I KNOW:
I don’t know any New Zealanders but I do know a couple that moved to and now live there.

QUOTE FROM A NEW ZEALANDER:
Not happening.

DO I LIKE THEM:
Every tournament I rightly or wrongly harbor a strong affection for any English speaking nation and/or former stronghold of the empire.

FINAL COMMENT:
Go Kiwis!

No comments:

Post a Comment