Friday 1 January 2010

Friday 1 January 2010 – 161 DAYS TO THE WORLD CUP

Welcome to the JGRAM countdown to the World Cup in South Africa this summer. It kicks off on the 11th of June and in the meantime here is my way of containing and expressing my excitement for the event.

Are England going to win the World Cup? Personally I doubt it but in contrast who the hell is going to win it? In the current climate I truly do not think that there is one dominating footballing nation at this time so in earnest despite my own personal reservations England possess as much chance as anybody of winning (although the thought of the sight of John Terry raising the World Cup above his head does make me feel slightly queasy).

Soon enough all the official avenues of the World Cup build up will roar into action but for now I hope to offer the first and most fantastically tatty musings on what should be the highlight of the summer. For me the only way that this tournament could be made any better would be if they reintroduced the second group stage as per the Spain 82 World Cup. More games = more fun in my book. Anyway to start off:

A quick reminder of the groups are:

GROUP A
South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay
France

GROUP B
Argentina
Nigeria
South Korea
Greece

GROUP C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

GROUP D
Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana

GROUP E
Netherlands
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon

GROUP F
Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia

GROUP G
Brazil
North Korea
Ivory Coast
Portugal

GROUP H
Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment